I'm awake....Mike is up getting ready for the day and I was sitting in bed thinking "today is the day", the day that has seemed so distant for the last four years, the day I thought would never really come when I was applying to dental school, the day that when I even thought about at times would make me teary...thinking of saying goodbye to so many close friends ...leaving my comfort zone of school...becoming a real life doctor. It hasn't felt real, or hit me yet this week. Until this morning.
When I first moved here to Milwaukee I was on my own and felt so empowered to prove that I could take care of myself. I'm the oldest and first to move away. I was ready for a big change. This last four years have been filled with so many amazing memories for me....
- the road trip out here with my Dad. We left really early, I said goodbye to everyone. My sister and I cried for the most of the first two days.
- My first roommate Ipshita Gupta. I'd come home to a smelly apartment every time she cooked, oil and Indian spices, but her food was always amazing. We never ate with utensils, my love for Tika Masala started with Ipshita.
- First Thanksgiving away. I got to spend it in Indiana with one of my best friends families...David Wilson. It was an awesome Holiday
- Had tons of fun with my singles ward friends, they were a good group and I could really be myself around them. We were together all the time, there was always something fun going on.
- Lots of dancing at the local clubs. I love dancing...
- Met Mike, tried to set him up with my new roommate Lauren.
- Spring break in Pensacola with high school friends. It was fun to getting together with them.
- Broke up with high school boyfriend, whom I thought I'd be with forever
- Started dating Mike, it was dreamy and easy, things just felt like they fell into place.
- Met his family at Easter. Scared!
- My family refused to meet Mike, they weren't ok with the whole new boy thing
- Saw my first Patient the First Summer in dental school. I was so nervous I had a hard time remembering how to communicate and do my job at the same time. I was shaking a little, not good with sharp instruments, that made me more nervous!
- Mike made me a candle light dinner to celebrate being done with freshman year, Olive Garden take out with Sparkling Cider!
- Went to Chicago for a few shopping trips with girl friends. I love the big city and shopping the magnificent Mile. I could never understand how some of those girls walk it in stilettos!
- Saw "Wicked" Loved it, someday I'll be a season ticket holder for theatre
- Started to meet some of the "KOLHS GROUP", they were loads of fun, and now some of my nearest and dearest friends.
- Best friend from undergrad, Ashley came out for a visit from her dental school in Vegas! She's a party animal! I had a blast showing her around Milwaukee
- 2nd Christmas home told my mom that I might marry this guy Mike. We both cried, I think more because I was scared to death to tell her. It was so hard meeting someone and falling in love so far from home. They didn't get to see all of the fun courtship.
- Got ready to take Part I boards, studied all the time, felt like my brain was turning to mush. I got to take it the same day as one of my best friends Laura.
- Played an awesome April Fools joke on my Family and Mike. I lived downtown, in a not so nice neighborhood, 1 block from the "Jesus Saves" homeless shelter. I called bawling and told them that my car was broken into. They totally fell for it, hook, line and sinker. I was so proud of myself. I had to call my family 2 hrs later and tell them I was engaged, Mike PROPOSED!! They didn't believe me.
- Started shopping for a house, sadly realizing we couldn't afford much, everything I liked was way out of the price range.
- Had an incredible wedding, everything I could dream of. Married one heck of a guy!
- Road tripped for our honeymoon. Stopped in St. George, Vegas, Disneyland, La Jolla, San Diego, Sea World and back....then out to Milwaukee. Surprisingly I never really got sick of the car. It was so fun!
- Found a Fixer-upper, and moved in three days after the Honey Moon. Our first home. One that will always hold a special place
- Did lots of remodeling
- Got ready for Part 2 Boards, Senior year was very stressful. Made really close friends in my Clinic. I'll really miss them
- Started saying goodbye to patients, some whom I became very close with. The biggest compliment I received was when one of my patients held me in a long hug and cried as she said goodbye. There were lots of hugs and well wishes from patients in the last few months. I'll miss seeing many of them too. Without them I wouldn't have been able to struggle and learn.
Many Many memories, and so many that weren't included. What an amazing four years with so many milestones in my life. Thanks to all my friends and family for your love and amazing support, I can't believe today is here. We've had so much fun with my family here the past few days, seeing the city. I'll post lots of pictures soon. I can't wait for the ceremony tonight! I'd better get up and get ready.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
So proud of you! Best of Luck, Dr. Spencer. Lots of celebrating now.
WOW. I have chills! What an awesome 4 years for you! CONGRATS!sniff, sniff!
WOW!!! I can't believe it has been four years! I remember the night before you left staying up with you and helping you pack and then laying there talking on the trampoline. I knew you could do it. Congratulations Dr. Jessica!!!
oh jess i love ya! I hope graduation was amazing and that you are having a fun time with the fam. Sorry that I wasn't there at the party.....i had class...i know lame.
Oh that was fun to read, great memories. That list wouldn't be complete though without something along the lines of...
Met an awesome friend, aka me, did lots of fun stuff together, and will be friends for life :)
ps have some cute graduation pics to email you.
oh I forgot the most important thing to say.... "Congrats, Doctor Spencer!"
that is so cool!
Congrats Jess! I am so proud of you and all that you have accomplished. Hopefully I will get to see you in July, way to go, Dr. Spencer
Post a Comment