Saturday, December 13, 2008

Gingerbread cookies!

For the first two Christmas' Mike and I were together we decorated a Christmas tree with a homemade popcorn garland and homemade gingerbread men cookies and red ribbon. This is one of my very favorite memories of us dating, and will be a family tradition. It was very simple, but it was one of the cutest trees I've ever had, and so much fun to do together.

The recipe is so delicious and we eat so many of them in the process that there usually aren't many left to decorate the tree with(So I always end up making another batch). I wish I had pictures to post, but I think they are on the other computer, I can't find them. I usually add a little extra ginger and clove, to really get the gingerbread flavor strong. You'll love the aroma that fills your house, it really feels like Christmas! Enjoy.

Gingerbread Men

2 sticks butter
3/4 Cup brown sug
1 Egg
1/2 Cup Dark Molasses
1/2 tsp Vanilla
3 1/4 cups Flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
2tsp ginger
1/4 tsp cloves

1.) Cream butter until smooth. Add Sugar and mix. Add egg and mix. Add molasses and vanilla and mix until smooth.
2.) Sift dry ingredients. Mix in small increments until just combine - DON'T OVER MIX.
3.) Refrigerate Dough 1-2 hrs (I just put in the freezer for 30 or so min). Roll out to cut shapes. Bake at 350 on greased cookie sheet, until just lightly brown on edges.

* Tips, the thicker you roll the dough the softer and chewier the cookies will be. If you are looking to hang them from your tree, you need to roll thin and bake longer, so they are crunchy.
Again I add a little extra of the spices because I think it makes them stronger.

5 comments:

Linda said...

Yeah! I have been thinking about making these the past few days. I am going to try them tonight!

Pam Emmons said...

Awesome! I think we might have to make these for Santa!

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting this! I'm so excited to make them!

Angie Lewis said...

That's such a cute tradition! :)

Natalie and Quin said...

Yummm! Sounds like a lot of fun!